- Trips & Tours
- Trip Planning
- WJ Reviews
- Featured Photos
WJ Tested: Back to the Basics at Big Bar Guest Ranch
When you need a break from the day-to-day grind, a little slice of heaven awaits you in the Cariboo Country of British Columbia, Canada. Take a hiatus from the rat race and enjoy the simple life Big Bar Guest Ranch has to offer. You’ll find some of the friendliest folk north of the border in this rustic setting at one of the oldest guest ranches in the Cariboo.
This is a land steeped in a history of gold rush days and cattle ranching. The Marble Range, with its limestone topography, hunkers on the horizon. Open meadows dotted with wildflowers, canyons and rolling hills provide a fantastic landscape for trail riding.
Choose a rustic cabin, motel-style room, teepee, arrive in a RV or bring your own tent for camping. At Big Bar Ranch there is room for a fun family adventure if you are seeking a rustic Cariboo guest ranch. The ranch is a great option for anyone needing a getaway that combines great riding opportunities, plenty of outdoor activities and all at a reasonable price.
Guests at the ranch can cook for themselves or enjoy delicious and wholesome meals in the dining hall. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are available and served family-style.
At Big Bar Ranch, there is plenty to do for all ages and activity levels:
– Canoeing – Take a canoe or paddle boat out on the ranch lake.
– Hiking – Start walking from the ranch of take a drive to one of the many nearby hiking trails.
– Fishing – Plenty of trout are to be found in nearby lakes.
– Archery – Ever tried your hand at archery? Well, at Big Bar Ranch you can shoot a bow and arrow like a pro in no time at all.
– Roping – If this is your first time roping, or you need a refresher, get one of the wranglers to show you the ropes.
– Horseshoes – Play horseshoes while surrounded by some of the best Cariboo scenery.
– Nature – Relaxation is just outside your door and so is Mother Nature. Enjoy peace, quiet and unwind with a good book. De-stressing is easy to do.
– Campfire Fun – Gather around the campfire for cowboy poetry and songs.
– Horse Riding – Riders of all skills and levels will enjoy the fine selection of horses, beautiful scenery and the help of ranch wranglers. Only want to ride for 1-2 hours? Not a problem. Up for more adventure and wanting to spend the entire day in the saddle? You’re in for a treat. Riders can be sure to find a length and level just right for them.
Note: WAVEJourney visited Big Bar Ranch in July 2010.
If You Go: